hit tracker My Vitriol Studio WEBLOG: Nostalgic Royalty.

My Vitriol Studio WEBLOG

Check in with MV in their London studio, as they track the eagerly anticipated follow up to their critically acclaimed debut album "Finelines". Feel free to leave your comments for the band, below the posts.

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Nostalgic Royalty.

My good old friend Rob came by the studio to catch up. We used to play together at school, waaay before MV. I guess you could say that he was the guy that got me into all this to start with. So you have him to blame.
I had just got the Nirvana box set, so we checked it out. Kinda interesting from a musician/fan perspective....hearing the demos and stuff. We laughed about the fact Kurt was singing to a wall on the DVD, as I used to have to sing into a lamp cos we didn't have a mike stand back then.

Anyways, we ended up jamming some of the first songs I ever wrote and Nirvana tunes like Penny Royal Tea for old times sake, and ProTools had been recording all along.... here's a clip of what was recorded:

this is an audio post - click to play


We probably f***ed it up. Whatever. If MOBY can cover Creep with a G|B minor|C instead of a G|B f***ing MAJOR|C to 50,000 people at Glasto I think we'll get away with this one.

The clinky sound of the guitar reminds me of a funny story. My sister had a guitar before I did. It was a nylon-stringed classical which she was getting lessons on. I didn't want lessons, but my folks thought I could use that instead of getting me an electric. I really hated the way it sounded so CLEAN. So I used to play it with bottle caps and stuff to try and get a little distortion. My poor sister. That poor guitar.
Once I had saved enough cash for an electric, I needed an amp but they were waaay to expensive. I remember plugging in the electric into my dad's HIFI speakers. But that sounded CLEAN too. So I'd crank it up until the cones distorted. Man, you could SMELL the speakers frying ozone. My poor dad. You should have seen his face. I got my amp out of it though. ;>
Don't abuse your family. Unless you need some new gear.

5 Comments:

Blogger FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS said...

Ah, Shock Syndrome, those were the days.

Let me know when you need a support band in Bristol.

www.firstofthegiants.co.uk

November 29, 2004 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger oliveronson said...

Old friend from school eh? would that be St Olaves by any chance? man that place sucked.

November 29, 2004 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Si Barber said...

I can't offer my services as a support band becuase i still haven't learnt to play any instruments, and i certainly can't offer any freshly cut sandwiches. However, if you need someone to turn a strobe light on and off then i'm your man!

November 29, 2004 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS said...

That why this Blog is getting so many hits, ex Olaves pupils!

We rocked that Ragrock!

November 30, 2004 at 10:57 PM  
Blogger Jeff Fryer said...

Hey guys! Just a quick message from me to say that I've been keeping tabs on 'ya from afar via your weblog and things seem to be progressing well. I'm excited personally and professionally for you all & and as a fan as well. I'll write you a much better note soon, I just wanted to give you some quick love to keep going at it and rock everyone's socks off. Your mate in the states, -J-

December 6, 2004 at 2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home