hit tracker My Vitriol Studio WEBLOG: pastlives, regression, jainism and more tsunamis

My Vitriol Studio WEBLOG

Check in with MV in their London studio, as they track the eagerly anticipated follow up to their critically acclaimed debut album "Finelines". Feel free to leave your comments for the band, below the posts.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

pastlives, regression, jainism and more tsunamis

Hey.
I have just returned from my trip to SE Asia. Hence it being so quiet on this blog for so long. Remote India and Nepal haven't taken that much to the internet as yet ;>
I was over there visiting various Jainist and Buddhist sites and learning a lot about Eastern Philosphy. I find Jainism very fascinating as it appears to be very similar to, quite probably an influence, or possibly even the root of, Buddhism. It has nowhere near the same level of world recognition. Buddhism seems to be the bridge between Jainism and existential realism (materialism of the non-bling sort). A moderated Jainism, if you like. They both believe strongly in social equality and non-violence and reject the old man in the sky in favour of rebirth and karma as comeuppence and explanations for some of the the differences between us. Buddhism does not however have an unchanging 'soul', and is far less strict, it seems, via the Middle Path. (The Jains are strict vegetarians and traditionally sweep infront of their feet as they walk, in order to not harm bugs)
Mahavira and Buddha had very similar lives and lived quite close to each other, it appears, so no doubt there was a trade of ideas. Both philosophies have been built into 'religions' over the years (along with the obligatory myths and, in some cases, rituals which sometimes contradict the original teachings) but Jainism came first according to accepted chronolgy. It seems the ancient world was going through an intellectual awakening around that period (600 BC) as, in China there was Confucious, and in Greece there was Thales, the first recorded Western philospher.
I visted the building where the Buddha had lived for 25 years, and got to sleep in the remains of his room under an almost full moon.


While I was in Sri Lanka I went to see a Cambridge grad Nuclear Scientist named Dr Granville Dharmawardena (google him). I had stumbled upon some of his writings after doing some research of my own into consciousness. (When I get bored I get really really nerdy. Hey- you can't rock all of the time). He gave me some important information. I had learned previously that the brain works faster than the speed of light, and he informed me that the universe itself is 'non-local' as demonstrated by 'entanglement'. i.e. the whole universe is linked no matter where you are in it. Kinda like the world doesn't have edges cos it's a sphere, not flat. The universe bends via dimensions we can't comprehend to be linked everywhere despite great distances in the apparent 3 spacial dimensions we can witness. He believes that the spiritual part of humans comes from this realm above the speed of light. Some people have gone so far as to suggest that science has found god due to this discovery. See http://www.ksharpe.com/Word/CO11.htm

I was planning on getting myself regressed into my 'previous lives' but I ran out of time. I have always been very skeptical as everyone always seems to have past lives from Earth, almost always human and more often than not, Cleopatra.

While I was in SL I gave the contributions made on selling the merch to a hosital on the coast. Thanks for that guys. Actually while I was near the coast, on Monday the 28th at about midnight we heard that another quake had hit indonesia, and belief was widespread that another tsunami would hit. The wave never came but I didn't hang around long enough to check.

So not your usual holiday by any means, but I come back with fresh ears and an open mind ready to finsh what we started. Keep you posted

love S
xx

13 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

Great to hear from you again on here. It sounds like you've had a fascinating and very worthwhile trip.

Glad the money raised from merch sales in january is now doing good things for those that need it.

regards, Ian M

March 30, 2005 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger mark said...

Great to hear from you Som, sounds like you had a great time.

Keep us posted on everything to come.

Cheers.

Mark

--www.myvitriol.net-- MV : Fansite

March 30, 2005 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger CementedShoes said...

Hi Som,
Great to hear from you again.
Any news on the album? Would love to know how its progressing. This entry was an interesting read.
Take care of yourself man.

March 31, 2005 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger liveartist said...

hey dude..... good to hear from you. now. look here. let us know whats going on. my ears lack my vitriol's new music. so be kind and donate music to my precious ears.
thanks

March 31, 2005 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger ldv04 said...

hey som,thanks man for postn means alot to us!!!yeah..glad that cash from the merch could go to good use.glad to hear u take an insite to the troubles around the world,use it to inspire and to heal.hang in there man!

March 31, 2005 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Mehtadone said...

I'm a modern jain living in London and the community here is quite big. A very facinating religion! I'm glad you experencied some of our culture and heretige.

March 31, 2005 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger GroovyPigThing said...

Welcome back Som, sounds like a really amazing experience you must have had. It's great to see the proceeds of the merch sales going to a worthy cause, I love my tshirt :)

Peace

April 2, 2005 at 4:52 AM  
Blogger coldrude said...

Wow what an experience! Very spiritual and interesting, definately someting I would like to do. Glad your safely back and cant wait to hear from you again!

April 2, 2005 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Serendipity said...

It was nice to wake up on the 29th, my 18th birthday, and to finally see someone had updated this wonderful thing!

Now hurry up and announce another gig, that was the best money i have ever spent!

x S x

April 8, 2005 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah Penney said...

Yeah yeah do it do it. But get Pitchblend to support you this time...

April 10, 2005 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger ldv04 said...

hey vit..please bust ass and get another gig soon,am sure there was alot of loyal fans who didnt get a chance2 see u's..also,hows that album come'n?

April 12, 2005 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow! was watching a documentary on quantum physics a few weeks ago and after reading your log, I believe more firmly that the fourth dimension must have a link with spirituality. Does that make sense?

Rachel.

May 2, 2005 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger winter-time said...

Excellent blog. It was so great and I bet I will
go back to it! I get to look online for blogs like
yours is a blessing.
Hey playa! You need to check out my cash advance loan blog.

January 20, 2006 at 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home